So why this Estonian School? Some background facts for you.
- All kind of facts about Estonia as an European country are found in Wikipedia. So it is a rather small Baltic country, next to Russia.
- In 1987 the peaceful Singing Revolution against Soviet rule began, culminating with restoration of its de facto independence on 20 August 1991.
- Since restoration of its independence, Estonia has been a democratic unitary parliamentary republic divided into fifteen counties. Its capital and largest city is Tallinn.
- With a population of 1.3 million, it is one of the least-populous member states of the European Union, Eurozone, OECD, Schengen Area, and of NATO.
Estonia is big on e-Democracy Tools:
- In Estonia citizens themselves hold ownership of their private and personal information (data).
- They also set up e-residency for all people, both within and outside Estonia.
- Many new ways of connecting people and services are from Estonia. The Estonian e-Healthcare ecosystem here is an example. Or voting via internet as may be seen here.
- The insights and knowledge about this different approach towards the government-citizens relationship is exported to several countries, mainly new democracies.
Our Estonian School is very much inspired by the innovative ideas and concepts such as e-residency and e-government as are developed in Estonia. We offer all kinds of tools and methodes from projects in Europe to use and learn from.